A new mom dives into parenthood. Will our heroine survive?

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, December 3, 2007

Where we buy our milk.

At Wal-Mart this past weekend I saw a gallon of Maola Milk for $6.12. WHAT!? Since when is milk twice as expensive as gas? It is for this reason I wanted to do a quick post about where we buy our milk, and that place is BJ's Membership Warehouse.

When we moved three months ago, I wanted to investigate the savings to be had at members-only stores, so we headed over to BJ's. As we walked around I noticed some prices that were slightly better and others that were slight worse. But then we saw the milk price - $3.14. In our part of the country that is the cheapest milk I've seen.

I calculated the savings of purchasing our milk here for one year and it outweighed the cost of our $45.00 annual membership. So now we buy all our milk from BJ's. They have raised their prices but only to $3.31, and actually this past weekend they were down by 10 cents to $3.21.

If you have any other milk purchasing advice, please let us know in the comments!

3 comments:

Debbie J said...

You've done your research well! I can't go to BJs so here's my plan. Food Lion has a deal where you buy 6 gallons of milk and get the fourth free. That's one option. Also sometimes Walgreens has their milk on sale and I can buy a couple, and freeze them. The frozen milk works great!

Little Penpen said...

Wow! $6 for a gallon of milk??? That milk would sour and rot before I bought any of it! I usually buy mine from Food Lion, like your mom does. However, if I am in Costco, I try to buy it there as it is less than Food Lion. But I wouldn't make a special trip there to buy it. Yikes! Who thought milk would be so expensive? I guess we "could" buy a cow.... LOL

The Estrogen Files said...

I understand that you can get milk on clearance (or sale) and then freeze the extra. My freezer isn't big enough for that, but I think it would work well.

Luckily, we have a dairy local and get all our milk there - cheaper even WITH home delivery.