A new mom dives into parenthood. Will our heroine survive?

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, March 7, 2008

Home-made bread!

I' ve been way under-utilizing my bread machine lately. One of the reasons is that I just don't like how the bread comes out when it's cooked in the machine. So...I decided to take my mama's lead and have the machine MIX the dough and then bake it in the oven. It came out GREAT! We've been using it for sandwiches and snacks. Here's the recipe I use for Whole Wheat Bread:

1/2 cup water
3/8 cup soy milk
1 egg
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
1 1/2 tablespoons honey (use the same spoon as the oil and the honey will come out much more easily)
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 cup milled flax seed

Bake it in a 5x9 loaf pan for about 30 minutes or so (I actually didn't time it yet...shame on me...I just sort of went on instinct). It makes a great sized loaf for sandwich bread, or put some honey on a hot slice right out of the oven for a yummy snack.

2 comments:

Debbie J said...

I'm so glad it worked for you! I would like to try this recipe. I'd like to have sandwhich bread on hand. Too bad my pampered chef stone bread pan is on Ebay this week!

Little Penpen said...

Yummy... I can almost smell the freshly baked bread. Can you believe that someone GAVE me a nice bread machine a few years ago and I never used it? I actually GAVE it to someone else. I've kicked myself over and over for that one.