A new mom dives into parenthood. Will our heroine survive?

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, October 26, 2007

Frugal Friday!

I never knew that Habitat for Humanity had a store, but my good friend (the same one who helps me clean!) introduced me to it a while back and the savings there are amazing! The Habitat for Humanity Store is an outlet center for donated items that can't or haven't been used yet in homes. You can find anything from strollers to bathroom sinks and money from purchases goes back into their funds to help build more homes. Great Concept!

Back while I was still pregnant I think my friend must have found me the deal of the century at Habitat. I had been looking at all the usual spots in town for a cute baby bedding set. Most of these sets only came with bumpers, a bedskirt, and a comforter, and the price for just these three items would start around $80 and go right on up uP UP! In addition to the horrendous prices, I just plain didn't like a lot of the prints. They were just "ok". Nothing really spoke to me and said, "Hey YOU - with the cute belly and empty bank account, BUY ME!"

That's where my friend comes in. She called me up from Habitat one Saturday morning and said - "They have the cutest baby set here - and its only 35 dollars!" Well, my friend has excellent taste, so I decided to trust her judgement without having seen the items. Let me tell you - It was THE CUTEST BABY SET I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! Honestly, it was literally what I had been picturing in my mind. And we got so much for our money.

Here's what $35 got us at Habitat:

Froggy Embroidered Bumpers
Froggy Embroidered Comforter
Matching Curtains
2 Matching Sheets
Matching Crib Skirt
Matching Froggy Night Lamp

After we bought the set, I went online to see how much the actual retail price would have been. It was $170 for JUST the Bumpers, Comforter, 1 Sheet and Crib Skirt. WOW.

Here's a pic I found online of the whole set (click to enlarge and see the detail):


Here are pics from our nursery(click to enlarge):

Cute Right? Hard to believe the items were gently used prior to our purchase.
To find a Habitat store near you please visit: http://www.habitat.org/cd/local/
And PS - The cute little froggy mobile you see picture on the crib, was only $10 on Craig's List - again thanks to my bargain finding friend!

2 comments:

Debbie J said...

Great frugal friday post! The froggie nursery is adorable too!

Little Penpen said...

Wow, what a deal! I've only been to our local Habitat store once and didn't find anything good in there. However, I decided the good stuff goes fast and one must be there early to find it. I saw several nice things with "sold" signs on them.