A new mom dives into parenthood. Will our heroine survive?

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

GULP - I'm Getting Organized!

Anyone that knows me, knows that I am not what some would call "naturally"organized. I am the kind of person that gets overwhelmed easily by household chores and thus, they are not usually done in a timely manner.

For example, my husband's and my previous home did not have a dishwasher. I would cook and cook and dirty up all our dishes, and then we'd have a huge pile in the sink. Well, after cooking I'd be too tired (lazy?) to clean up, so I'd say I'd do it tomorrow. Well "tomorrow" would come, I'd see those dirty dishes, feel my tummy rumbling with hunger and feel completely overwhelmed and of course NOT do the dishes! So we'd go out to eat...and spend money...There is no telling how much money it cost us to NOT have a dishwasher back then! Anyway, luckily hubby would rescue me from those awful dishes. I also have a wonderful friend who at the time was my neighbor and she cleaned my house for me on more than one occasion! (Thanks Rosie!)

So, now that I am a parent and now that my age can be rounded up to 30 instead of 20, I've decided its high time - PAST time - for me to get organized and get those chores done! Here's my plan:

Piddily Looking Notebooks


How exciting, you must be thinking, to have a such a great plan of two piddily looking notebooks! Well you are absolutely right, my friends, it IS exciting! I am going to start planning my day each morning, and filling the day with household chores. (gulp). The notebooks are for scheduling and note-taking.

This will hopefully keep me from feeling overwhelmed by allowing me to get things done before they get out of hand. So instead of vacuuming when I can see a thin layer of dog hair on the carpet, I'm going to schedule vacuuming in BEFORE it gets yucky!


Today I have only 5 things on the list because I'm not sure how this whole "scheduling" thing is going to fit into the baby's day. But if it goes well, I'll add more tomorrow.

7 comments:

Debbie J said...

I am so proud of you! You might want to check out www.flylady.net for ideas! She has a "control journal" that might help you with your piddily notebooks!!!! M.

Little Penpen said...

Good for you! I've had this same idea and still haven't started it!

Little Penpen said...

PS.....thanks for the puppy book info. I'm going to ebay right now!

Bobi Jensen said...

Glad I'm not the only one who needs a little help in this area. I have found that the small "to do" list works better with a house of little ones rather than an hour by hour schedule. I used to do that and then get so frustrated with the unforeseen crises!

You are so smart, love your posts! Congrats on the sleep last night!

Anonymous said...

I'd do your dishes anyday to have you as a neighbor again! I LOVE your blog!!!

Anonymous said...

oops didn't mean to be anonymous...it's rosemary

SAHMmy Says said...

Good luck! I use 3x5 cards to schedule chores. There's a great book from the 70's called Sidetracked Home Executives--it's still in print! I used to do the same thing with the dishes before I had my first child--then something kicked in...I haven't gone to bed with a dirty kitchen once since my son was born.